Baby Is Here

8/13/2007

Random Thoughts

There are lots of things going on right now in the Felton family. 1st and foremost is that a couple weeks ago, McKenna had an eye appointment and a couple days later she had her ABR hearing test. To our delight, both turned out to be good news. She no longer has Retinopathy of Prematurity which is what she has been tested for numerous times even before she left the hospital. The Dr. said that she might be a little near sided, but just as we thought, she sees very well. The ABR test was quite a circus. Since McKenna doesn't know how to hold still and be quiet for more than 1 second, they had to put her under General Anaesthetic so that she could be quiet and still for as long as they needed her to be. So we were at the OR at 7am so they could get her prepped for a 9am appointment. Just like any other time you have surgery or Anaesthetic, you can't eat or drink anything for 8 hours or so. By 8am when she got used to being in the hospital, she was very ready for something to eat or drink. It was not fun trying to explain to her that she just couldn't eat right then, but when she saw us next, we would have something for her. An hour and a half later, she was out and we met with the Dr. who was very surprised to tell us that her hearing is just fine. In the world of micro-premies, kids who breath, eat, see, and hear well are too few and far between. McKenna has come a great distance from that 1 lb. 12 oz. little girl she used to be. This weekend she'll be a local celebrity for the day on Saturday for the March of Dimes Ride. We are all really looking forward to the ride and I'll again tie my blue handkerchief on the back of my bike. The 1st year I rode in this ride was shortly after we lost Ian and I tied it there. Suzanne had to work and it just seemed right in my mind that some how, my son be able to ride with me. I had a warming feeling all day on the bike that he was with me every mile of the trip. I hope that someone I know (including me) wins that bike. I've sold a lot of tickets so we'll see. So, for any of you in the Cedar Rapids area, if you don't have a motorcycle, but want to come down to find out who wins the bike, come to the Chrome Horse on 8/18 from 3pm - 4:30pm.

On a different note, Suzanne and I have been keeping up on a little boy's "Carepage". His mother is a classmate of Suzanne's sister. Her little boy Grant has AT/RT which is a form of cancer. Thankfully, right now Grant's cancer is in remission. Since Grant's diagnosis, his mom has put us in touch with many other innocent children who for whatever the reason may be, have developed AT/RT. A lot of these kids are very young and it scares me to no end. I have asked a bunch of other times on here, but please say a prayer for all of these kids that are suffering from this. It is not fair in any way shape or form and it rips my heart out to read about these kids. The rambling I did above about our tests and time in the hospital is a drop in the hat to these families. If any of you would like to be put in touch with these Carepages, please click the email link to the right and send us a note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter